Sunday, December 20, 2009

"Chupe de Camarones" - one of many reasons to visit Peru

"Chupe de Camarones", shrimp chowder Peruvian style. *)
Photo: Karin Leander (Arequipa, December 2009)


When people think about Peru they probably associate this magic Latin American country with Macchu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, lost Inka treasures, snow-capped Andes, and perhaps the Amazon.

Few know that the Peruvian cuisine is, in my and others' opinion, the very best in Latin America. If we have Mexican readers of our blogspot, I ask them to please not think that I am being biased, I also love Mexican food!!!

The more sophisticated the cultural structures of nations, the more refined their gastronomies. Thus, it seems to be no coincidence that both Peru and Mexico, which had impressively advanced civilizations long before they were conquered by the Spaniards, developed an absolutely delicate and varied culinary "synchretism" with the foods and ingredients Europeans later imported from the Old World.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is this: Peru is definitely worth a visit if only to savor the many dishes such as their famous shrimp chowder, the legendary "Chupe de Camarones" (hmmm, just the very word "chupe" makes my mouth water!!!...).


Karin and I are still in Peru. In a couple of days we will drive to Chile - definitely NOT because of its gastronomy ----- :-)

*) Believe it or not - I could finish the plate although I just have an Ersatz kinda stomach - hahahaha!!


No comments: